Specialist, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) & Spatial Analysis
The Specialist, GIS & Spatial Analysis manages critical spatial analysis responsibilities and provides vital expertise to support WWF-Canada’s key program objectives, providing oversight and management of spatial analysis projects for the Science, Knowledge, and Innovation (SKI) team, to ensure WWF-Canada’s conservation advocacy and actions are based on strong, quantitative, conservation science.
Across the many cultures and individuals that represent WWF, we are unified by one mission and one common set of values:
- Courage to work for change where it’s needed and to inspire people and institutions to tackle the greatest threats to nature and the future of the planet, which is our home.
- Integrity to live the principles we call on others to meet and to rely on traditional science and Indigenous knowledge to guide us.
- Respect to honour the voices and knowledge of the communities that we serve.
- Collaboration to deliver impact through collective action and innovation.
- Formulate and lead GIS and spatial analysis to advance conservation science at WWF-Canada in support of our priority programs and identified research objectives.
- Develop and present accurate and up-to-date spatial analysis to set a solid foundation for WWF’s conservation objectives and towards quantifiable measurement of results and impact.
- Collaborate with other Conservation departments to consult and provide expertise to guide spatial analysis.
- Produce briefings and presentations to WWF-Canada’s conservation leaders and external audiences, including at academic conferences and with government and ENGO partners.
- Act as a subject matter expert in GIS data and software management, including developing/technical standards for other GIS users.
- Lead code development for spatial analyses and for GIS tools and web applications.
- Supervision of analysis and mapping work completed by other GIS staff.
- Manage and oversee the career development, workload, goal setting and performance reviews of the Associate Specialist.
- Advanced expertise using GIS and remote sensing software, ArcGIS Pro, QGIS, and Google Earth Engine.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in a related field and related post-secondary education.
- 3+ years of experience in GIS scripting, including in Python and R statistical software (e.g. Geopandas, Rasterio, Simple Features, etc.).
- Proficiency working with large volumes of tabular or array-based data in an automated fashion (e.g. Pandas, numpy, etc.).
- Ability to develop dashboards and webmaps through ESRI’s ArcGIS Online ecosystem.
- Expert cartographic and data visualization skills.
- Advanced analytical, problem solving and research skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in multi-person teams.
- Familiarity with the work and values of WWF-Canada.
- Experience in a government, academic, ENGO or business setting working on conservation issues, or environmental assessment is an asset.
- People Management experience an asset.
- Alignment with WWF-Canada’s set of values.
This role can be based out of any of WWF-Canada offices – Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, Victoria, St. John’s, or Iqaluit
Deadline to Apply
You can submit your cover letter and resume by clicking the “APPLY” button.
Please ensure that your application is received on or before December 2, 2022.
Commitment to Diversity and Accessibility
Our vision is a Canada with abundant wildlife where nature and people thrive and we value and rely on diversity of thought, knowledge, expertise, and lived experience to help bring our vision to life.
We recognize that experience comes in many forms and skills are transferable. If you feel that your unique experiences can enhance our vision, we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements.
We encourage applications from candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including applicants who identify as First Nations, Métis or Inuk (Inuit), Black, racialized, a person with a disability, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
We are committed to a barrier-free and equitable recruitment & selection process. If you are contacted in relation an opportunity to join our team and require an accommodation at any point in the process, please advise the recruiter of your specific needs. We commit to managing these requests in a confidential manner.