Specialist, Communications (Engagement Platforms)
The Specialist, Communications (Engagement Platforms) develops and leads the execution of multiple communication strategies, plans and activities in support of WWF-Canada’s conservation priorities and ensures that messaging is consistent and aligned with the organization’s vision, priorities, and conservation program work. This role follows the news and identifies opportunities and challenges as they arise; contributes strategic advice regarding scientific reports to enhance communications opportunities for our work; provides feedback on submissions; and may develop and run campaigns. This role will be primarily focused on the development of content and communications for the Engagement Platform, and advancing the organization’s engagement goals. They will develop and nurture relationships with key media for their portfolios and maintains productive and harmonious working relationships with internal and external partners.
Across the many cultures and individuals that represent WWF, we are unified by one mission and one common set of values:
- Courage to work for change where it’s needed and to inspire people and institutions to tackle the greatest threats to nature and the future of the planet, which is our home.
- Integrity to live the principles we call on others to meet and to rely on traditional science and Indigenous knowledge to guide us.
- Respect to honour the voices and knowledge of the communities that we serve.
- Collaboration to deliver impact through collective action and innovation.
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Manager, Editorial; Senior Manager, Communications and the Vice President, Communications in developing a strong and consistent overarching strategic plan for conservation and fundraising communications.
- Contribute to the development of the Engagement Platform, including:
- Overseeing the creation of content plans and user journeys that align with the platform’s KPIs.
- Working collaboratively with marketing on the strategic, overarching launch plan for the platform, starting with its debut pillar and continuing through the next phases.
- Oversee the budget for the creation of English and French content for the platform
- Working closely with developers to ensure all aspects of the user experience are consistent and in line with overall messaging.
- Ensuring messaging is clear, effective, accurate, and written to the highest quality.
- Ensuring that all messaging is aligned and consistent with the voice and purpose of the organization
- Assigning and editing freelancers contracted to create content for the platform
- In collaboration with conservation, the Senior Manager, Editorial; Senior Manager, Communications and the Vice President Communications; develop communications plans that outline the tactics, opportunities, obstacles, audience, key messages and timeline for bringing the communications strategy to life in support of a particular program or goal.
- Identify and execute communications tactics using mediums and channels as appropriate for achieving the conservation goal.
- Ensure core communications documents are up to date to support the broader organization.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with key journalists, media personalities and other influencers.
- Support the Corporate Partnerships and Philanthropy & Donor Engagement teams when required, as determined by the Vice President Communications or Senior Manager, Communications.
- Safeguard the WWF image and brand by providing communications and media capacity as required.
- Related post-secondary education preferred; ideally in science communications, journalism, politics, English or equivalent and 4+ years of relevant professional experience, background in journalism (particularly science or politics) OR 6+ years of relevant professional experience, background in journalism (particularly science or politics)
- Excellent communications abilities demonstrated across various platforms
- Collaborative style that proactively solves problems and achieves results
- Strong writing and editing skills and a proven ability to adapt communications based on audiences and the goals of a program
- A creative thinker who creates content that can differentiate WWF-Canada in the marketplace
- Familiarity with creating user journeys and working closely with developers on site builds
- Proven track record in delivering on multiple files in fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated understanding of brand considerations
- Experience working with science or technical experts to communicate scientific information in engaging manner is a strong asset
- Alignment with WWF-Canada’s set of values.
This position can be based out of any WWF-Canada office
Deadline to Apply
Please ensure that your application is received on or before November 19, 2022, 5 p.m. EST. However, please note that the position may be filled prior to the deadline if suitable candidates have been identified. So, we encourage you to apply early!
Commitment to Diversity and Accessibility
Our vision is a Canada with abundant wildlife where nature and people thrive and we value and rely on diversity of thought, knowledge, expertise, and lived experience to help bring our vision to life.
We recognize that experience comes in many forms and skills are transferable. If you feel that your unique experiences can enhance our vision, we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements.
We encourage applications from candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including applicants who identify as First Nations, Métis or Inuk (Inuit), Black, racialized, a person with a disability, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
We are committed to a barrier-free and equitable recruitment & selection process. If you are contacted in relation an opportunity to join our team and require an accommodation at any point in the process, please advise the recruiter of your specific needs. We commit to managing these requests in a confidential manner.